Jesper Torp Kristensen
(Last updated 30. of Novemver 2017. Location: https://jespertk.dk/CV/CV_english.html)
I'm a backend engineer with 11+ years experience in developing, deploying and maintaining services running in a cloud infrastructure.
The technology is constantly changing. Using e.g. Docker and Apache Spark I can now implement the same system faster and much simpler than was possible just 5 years ago.
In my spare time I'm trying to become proficient with deep learning.
- July 2011 - Present: Senior system engineer at Issuu - an online publishing platform:
My position as a backend developer allows me to dig into the newest technologies and programming languages and to be constantly challenged by new projects.
I enjoy the constant focus on knowledge sharing and transparency as well as the agile development being practiced.
With APIs that needs to serve many hundreds of requests per second against tens of millions of users and publications it is also technically challenging.
Some tasks have called for non-trivial algorithmic optimizations and others for machine learning techniques.
These are some of the projects I've been working on:
- Digital sale of publications
- Content classification of publications based on extracted text
- Running A/B tests of recommendation sources. Some using hand waving and looking at graphs. Others using Hypothesis testing.
- Building a system for classifying publications as safe or explicit
- Building a system for translating the web site and the apps.
- Building a component for recommending publications using item based collaborative filtering.
- Building a flexible backend framework for providing recommendations. Implemented using Python, RabbitMQ, MySQL, Solr, Redis and many of our own backend systems.
- Designing and implementing a large scale data collection framework based on Python, Amazon S3 and Cassandra (more than 100 GB/day of raw data).
An OCaml backend for serving ads using the VCG auction model.
- January 2006 - June 2011: System engineer at Octoshape:
My work at the streaming company Octoshape involved a wide variety of tasks.
My preferred role was as a backend engineer where I enjoyed creating solutions that are robust in a large scale system.
I was the primary release engineer of server side software. Besides building, installing and testing software I also worked on optimizing the process through refinements of our server management system.
My daily work also included training the service delivery team. I personally executed tasks where I didn't expect time invested in knowledge sharing to pay back.
During high profile media events in U.S. and Korea I have worked on-site with CDN partners.
My most exciting week working for Octoshape was the week up to the first inauguration of Barack Obama.
I was deployed at our CDN partner and helped planning and testing the streaming complex to be ready to
handle 1.000.000+ simultaneous streams. It was a great experience. Partly because of the technical challenges
of the streaming complex being an order of magnitude larger than Octoshapes earlier record and partly because
everyone I worked with was really passionate to show that it could be done. The outcome was successful.
- 2004, fall: Teaching assistant in Semantics
- 2004, spring: Teaching assistant in Search and Optimisation
- 2003, fall: Teaching assistant in Programming Languages and Formal Semantics
- 2003, spring: Teaching assistant in Algorithms and Data Structures
- 2002, fall: Teaching assistant in Programming Languages and Formal Semantics
- 2002, spring: Teaching assistant in Models and Logics
The grades were given according to
the old danish grading scale.
My key strengths are algorithms, complexity theory and math.
- My native language is Danish.
- I'm fluent in English
- I know basic German
- I know basic Czech
- Notable programming languages:
- Python 2.7 has been the common choice of programming language at my current work at issuu.
- I used Java extensively for the 5 1/2 years I was working at Octoshape.
- At the university I used C and C++ for the master thesis and several university courses.
- Notable tool knowledge:
- ~12 years of experience working with Linux cloud servers (Amazon EC2/S3/..., Soft Layer, LeaseWeb, etc.)
- Docker and docker-compose. This technology has been embraced in recent projects at my work. By myself in particular.
- Databases: MySQL, Redis
- TensorFlow (currently learning)
- Apache Spark
- Solr search engine
- Running. Motivated by a yearly 1 megameter challenge.
- Born in 1979
- Married, two children.